2.27.2011

The single woman.

I meet so few of these nowadays it seems. From my dear close, friends that are in committed, long-term relationships to others that seem to be in my dugout, the committed, long-term relationship team is quickly gaining ground and rounding third on its way to home base.

I guess it's that time of our lives...the time when we're supposed to be meeting a special someone, putting a ring on it and walking down the aisle. Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% all for it...someday.

In the meantime, I'm finding it difficult to be a single woman in a high-pressure world that screams at me everyday: "You're inadequate; you should have found your man by now."

What should a single woman look like? Does being single mean I should hit up every happy hour at the local bars? Does it mean I should be updating my online profile daily to ensure the best matches? Do I need to ask all my friends to set me up on blind dates? Should I be frantically introducing myself to all the single groomsmen at weddings?! I just can't live my life like that.

Sometimes, I even start questioning what exactly it is that men find attractive. In one of my pity party moments recently, I asked my roommate, "Are all of my family and friends just telling me I'm beautiful because they love me? Am I actually really ugly and all of you guys just can't bear to tell me?"

Ridiculous...I know, and we laughed about it as soon as I said it, (I believe she may have mentioned something about me being dramatic as per usual...), but sometimes it can seem that way. For all of us single girls that aren't too keen on the bar scene or really just don't have any interest in habitual dating, what does the single life look like?

Lately, for me, it's pretty much just been work and watching countless TV shows and movies on Netflix and Hulu in the warm cocoon of my room. Lame...I know, but it's comfortable. I've never been a fan of putting myself in uncomfortable situations, and dating has always seemed like an uncomfortable situation to me.

Yes, I am 24 years old and single.
No, I'm not actively searching for someone to date.
Yes, I do want to meet someone eventually.
No, I don't know how I'm going to meet him.

No, there's nothing wrong with me.

A verse that's always stuck with me whenever I get blue about being single is this:

Proverbs 31:30
"Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised."

At the end of the day and at the end of life, if I never get married, it won't matter. Men will always let me down, but He never will.

For all you single girls out there that would like to be eyeing home plate with the other team, take this into consideration: being happy doesn't depend on being in a relationship. As cliché as it might sound, you are gorgeous. Do things that you enjoy, live life to the fullest and find joy in the love that you do have.

Also...love yourself. :-)

Love and peace,

Amelia

P.S. For all my dear, close friends in a long-term, committed relationship: I am truly happy for you. I want to celebrate your love with you because you all give me hope. :-)

1 comment:

  1. Ok, sorry for blog creepin again, but I love this post! I have so many of these same thoughts. I am only 21 but about 90% of my friends from home are already married! I submit that being 24 and single is perfectly ok :)

    ReplyDelete